Happy autumn, everyone! With the seasons changing and getting back into the hustle and bustle of normal life, it's easy to let snapping photos fall by the wayside. I tend to shoot a LOT in the summer - with vacations and camps and fun local events, there's no shortage of things to capture. As we settle into the routines that come with a new school year, I wanted to share some photo prompts to help keep you (and me!) inspired to keep the camera out.
1. Lasts // The last trip to the pool. Or the lake. The last hike. The last popsicle. Capture your warm weather favorites before it really cools down!
2. Weather // And speaking of that cool down... record the weather as it changes with the season. We've gone from hot and humid to rain, rain and more rain. As I write this, it's pretty much been raining for the last 2 days. I caught this early morning silhouette of my middlest heading to the bus stop one rainy morning, and it really brings the feel of the weather to life.
3. Buildings // With new routines come new places. I have two boys at new schools this year, and wanted to be sure to get a photo of where they are spending their days. Capture a building that's a part of your everyday - be it a school, your home, your workplace, or even a coffee shop that you frequent.
4. Friends // The days are getting shorter, but there's still a lot of time to play. Whether it's your kids' buddies or a party with your own friends (or a mix of both!), highlight those moments spent having fun together.
5. Light // One of my favorite things about fall is the gorgeous light. With the sun lower in the sky, it's easier to bring a soft, golden glow into your photos. Experiment with shooting at different times of the day and see what you get!
6. Graphics // From menus to posters, you can find cool graphics all around you! Look for interesting designs when you're out and about.
7. Backdrops // In a season of pumpkin patches and fall festivals, there is usually no limit to cool backdrops for photos. Whether it's row after row of apple trees or an interesting display like the one above, don't miss the opportunity to set up a posed shot and take advantage of it.
8. Color // With fall comes a LOT of cozy color - look for new ways to photograph it. When I got in the car to take my youngest to school, I loved how the cripsness of this single yellow leaf on my windshield contrasted with a very gray and wet morning.
9. Action // Whether it's fall sports or the fun of a party, capture the action happening around you. I can't decide what I like best about this photo - the little blurry ball of kid that's taking a massive swing at the pinata, or the reactions of everyone around him. It definitely brings me right back to the moment.
10. Shoot Wide // While you're out exploring all that autumn has to offer, don't forget to step back and include your surroundings in the photo! On our day at the apple orchard, I got several close ups of my boys picking apples - but this one, that shows the wide landscape of the farms beyond the orchard in the background, is my favorite.
I can't wait to see how you capture fall!